Saturday, October 23, 2010

Refreshing

The past few weeks at work have been very hectic, so I made a pact with myself that this weekend, I was going to relax and do something "I" wanted to do. Many people would assume this would probably mean a pedicure, massage, or shopping trip, but to me it meant a day to learn something new and a day with my wonderful mother!


(Cutting out Matney's stocking)

For years my mom has wanted Abby and I to learn to sew, and in the past it was never that important to me. I don't know if it was having a child of my own or the idea of having a hobby that would actually produce something useful and not something that would collect dust, but in the past several months I have had the "itch to stitch".


(preparing the letters for B's stocking; they had to be strategically placed around the deer)

(Almost finished!)

Growing up we always had Christmas stockings that were hand-made by Mom and had changed throughout each year that when a new stocking was placed on the mantel when a new member entered the family. I always knew I wanted something similar for my house to make each person feel special on Christmas morning when they picked up their stocking that was unique to them. Today I had the opportunity to make that desire come true. My mom patiently taught me many techniques and steps to sewing our beautiful new Christmas decorations. I don't mean to wish my life away, but I can't wait to hang them on the mantel!


(the finished product of which I am extremely proud!)



Today was very refreshing for me and made me love my Mom even more for her patience and talent. What will she teach me to make next? I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment