Friday, August 13, 2010

Corn, corn, and more corn

As far back as I can remember, the hottest days of summer have brought the family tradition of gathering under the Bradford Pear tree at Dad and Mom's and shucking more ears for corn then I can count. (I tell Brandon that this one small pile is nothing, as Dad used to bring home a truck bed full of corn that we would shuck and cut off to freeze.) This year the same tradition began on a hot, stickey Sunday evening after a long weekend at the lake. The crowd was smaller than years past, but one new little "shucker" or should I say "sucker" joined the crowd. I say "sucker" as every year I think, "why are we doing this", "don't we still have some in the freezer", "is the pile every going to get smaller" but when Dad asks if we will come help, I always get "suckered" back in to helping knowing I will enjoy every minute of it. We like to complain and grumble as we clean the silks off each ear, but it is a good way to catch up on the gossip, spend time with those I love, and enjoy a beverage on a hot, summer evening.

Even though she slept through most of the experience, we made sure Matney knew she wouldn't get out of this job in the years to come.


Every year it is tradition that while I work, I nibble on a piece of the yummy, mouth watering corn. This year did not disappoint and as you can see little M has joined the tradition.


Now that we have worked our harvest and all is safely stored in the freezer for those cold winter days when you want to enjoy just a little piece of summer, I look back on yet another year and remember how much I love that I have a family who gathers together to celebrate the simplest of traditions.






No comments:

Post a Comment